Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Gingerbread Men

Circa 1983, the recipe I dug up in Mom's recipe drawer that I brought home from kindergarten.  It puts a smile on my face to know they still do this activity in the kindergarten classrooms in Owatonna.  And since my babes aren't there to partake in the fun, we created our own.

1½ cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. almond flavoring
2½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. allspice

1. Cream powdered sugar & butter. Mix in egg, then flavorings.

2. Blend dry ingredients together.  Stir into creamed mixture.

3. Refrigerate 1½-2 hours.

4. Heat oven to 375°.  Roll out 3/16" dough.  Place on lightly greased baking sheet once cut out.

5. Bake 7-8 minutes, or until lightly golden.

Makes approximately 3 dozen 2-2½" cookies.



The gingerbread men turned out well and tasted great even without frosting.  However, I opted to frost them with a simple butter cream frosting.

I don't have specifics for this recipe.  It is one I follow strictly like my grandma.... I just throw it in.  Here's my guide:

1. Put powdered sugar in a bowl (depending on the amount of frosting you are making--usually 1-2 cups or so).

2. Add a small amount of vanilla.

3. Add a small amount of milk (to stiffen, heat milk first)

4. Add butter (approx ½ stick), softened.  Add to taste to dilute sweetness.

5. Mix in food coloring, if desired.

Mix with a hand mixer; do not let stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment